Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Safe, Healthy, and Happy Classroom

Everyone needs to feel like someone cares for them.  Every student needs a teacher that appreciates them, listens, and inspires them.  I want to create a classroom where my students feel comfortable and loved.  I want my students to be excited to come to class.  I will do this by trying to connect with my students.  I won't just teach them, but I will actually get to know them and also tell them about myself.  I will work on developing the seven connecting habits: caring, listening, supporting, contributing, encouraging, trusting, and befriending (Glasser).  Meeting my student's needs will be a priority.  According to Maslow's hierarchy of human needs student's physiological needs should be met first, followed by safety and security needs, and then their love and belonging needs.  I want to be a teacher that maintains order, but will always be there when a student needs me.  I believe that no one can learn in an unhealthy, uncomfortable and hostile environment.  My classroom will be a happy, loving place where learning happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment